Sam Milby

Sam Milby

Monday 5 September 2011

Toni's technicolor journey in showbiz




By Jerry Donato (The Philippine Star) Updated September 05, 2011 12:00 AM Comments (0) 
 
Toni Gonzaga, endorser of Tupperware Brands’ Toni Princess: It has been fun, exciting and fulfilling


MANILA, Philippines - “It has been fun and exciting. There’s a little drama on the side. Other than that, it has been the most fulfilling journey of my life.”


That’s Toni Gonzaga speaking about her decade-long showbiz career. She will celebrate her 10th year with a concert at the Araneta Coliseum on Sept. 30.


She adds: “I’ll be doing things that will challenge me as a performer. (The concert) is like a movie. It will stage the journey I have been through.” But one thing is for sure: Toni’s journey is set in technicolor.


Although many think that she has had everything as an artist on TV and in the movies, Toni still challenges herself to move forward and go beyond her comfort zone.


After all, “the end is not yet in sight” as the song goes for Toni.


“As I grow older in the industry, I want to challenge myself by doing meaty roles that will show my capacity (and what else I can offer),” Toni shares. “I go for the inspirational. I want to do movies similar to Million Dollar Baby (directed by Clint Eastwood and starred by Hilary Swank). It’s a movie that will lift up the viewers’ (spirit) and inspire them.”


Thus, Toni is not yet ready to do daring and dark independent movies.


“I don’t know,” replies Toni when asked why she is effective in feel-good movies that Meg Ryan is known for. “It’s something you can’t learn. It is something that comes naturally. I think it depends also on the personality of the person. I don’t like sad and depressing situations. I also don’t like drama in life. I just like the happy side of things.”


Her now showing Star Cinema movie Wedding Tayo, Wedding Hindi is one example of the genre that fits Toni to a T. One can easily sympathize and laugh with her.


Does Toni feel pressured that the movie should make a dent at the tills since her name and Eugene Domingo’s are on the billing?


“What’s good about me and Ate Uge is we don’t talk about it,” she answers. “…what I see in her is her passion for work. That’s why I didn’t feel pressured and nervous while we were doing the movie. We enjoyed filming the movie. At the end of the day, (the success) of the movie is not dependent on us, wala naman sa aming dalawa yun. It’s the decision of the people what they want to watch. We just pray that they will support us.”


Among the myriad of characters Toni has played on the big screen, Sally of You Are the One opposite Sam Milby and Irene of My Amnesia Girl with John Lloyd Cruz top her unforgettable movie role list.


“My most favorite is Irene because it was my first time to portray someone who pretended to be suffering from amnesia,” she says. “I found it challenging. Then my second favorite is Sally. She is close to my personality.”


Is Toni happy the way her movie career is going?


“It’s alright with me to do light drama in preparation for drama projects in the future. Nararamdaman ko na kailangan ko pang kumain ng maraming bigas at mag-aral ng mabuti para dyan. I need to prepare for that.”


Recently, Toni graced Tupperware Brands’ Chain of Confidence event along with Aljur Abrenica, Dimples Romana, Bea Alonzo and Marvin Agustin. She endorses the Toni Princess fragrance line. It has a floral, fruity scent to give every girl that princess feel. Toni Princess has a dreamy scent available in body mist, body spray and pocket mist forms.


For men who want to play princes to their damsels in distress, they can try Aljur’s Magnetism with its citrus aromatic scent. They can also cook their girls’ favorite dish using Marvin’s Kitchen Gourmet line. Women can enhance their beauty by choosing the right cosmetics from Bea’s Colour Collection. Moms and children will enjoy their bonding time with products from Dimples’ Kids Plus.


Asked what’s the biggest lesson Toni has learned from her characters Irene and Sally, she replies, “If you love someone, you have to fight for him. Love is worth fighting for.”


http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?publicationSubCategoryId=70&articleId=723964

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...