Sam Milby

Sam Milby

Friday 9 September 2011

Toni Gonzaga on Sam Milby: I thought he was the one | ABS-CBN News | Latest Philippine Headlines, Breaking News, Video, Analysis, Features

Toni Gonzaga on Sam Milby: I thought he was the one | ABS-CBN News | Latest Philippine Headlines, Breaking News, Video, Analysis, Features

By Caroline J. Howard, ANC
Posted at 09/09/2011 4:18 PM | Updated as of 09/09/2011 8:09 PM

Versatile TV personality Toni Gonzaga.
MANILA, Philippines - Versatile TV personality Toni Gonzaga is marking 10 years in show business.


Gonzaga admits she is excited over her anniversary concert at the Araneta Coliseum at the end of the month. Moreso, as her home network ABS-CBN said she had earned the right to hold it at the Big Dome.


"Every night, I can't sleep. This is the biggest event of my life ever!" she said on ANC's "Headstart."


"I'm thankful. This is one of my biggest dreams. You deserve a great show and I will give you that on September 30," she added.


Gonzaga said the show will feature friends in showbusiness who have become part of her life like Piolo Pascual, John Lloyd Cruz, her best friend Vhong Navarro, sister Alex Gonzaga, Pokwang, with a special participation by Vice Ganda and Mr. Pure Energy Gary Valenciano.


Soft drink commercial
A performer since her youth, Gonzaga said she remains fascinated with the glitz and glamor of showbiz.
"The best thing about showbiz is you can influence people. The worst, sometimes it can change you in a bad way," she said.


She could very well have spoofed her way into the industry at the age of 17, with her unforgettable performance as the girl smitten with Piolo Pascual in a soft drink commercial. It was just the kind of exposure she needed to land a showbiz stint.
"That was the turning point in my career. People noticed me and I started getting breaks in the industry."
She first got an offer to become a mainstay host on a noontime variety show on another channel.
In 2005, a desire to maximize her potential and to grow as an artist convinced her to joined the ABS-CBN family via "Wazzup Wazzup."


Out of respect for her previous network, Gonzaga said it took her 5 years to accept the offer to do a noontime show on ABS-CBN, which tuned out to be "Happy Yipee Yehey."


Today, she has a diverse showbiz portfolio that would by the envy of every aspiring TV personality.
She hosted the popular reality show Pinoy Big Brother (PBB), which earned her good reviews.


She is a regular host of top showbiz news program The Buzz and ABS-CBN's weekly variety show A.S.A.P. for which she was named best female TV host at the 20th PMPC Star Awards for Television in 2006.
Gonzaga also acts and her movies have become box-office hits.


On top of her various appearances, she's warming up for another stint on PBB by October.
"I've been part of it for five years. If they take me out, I'll take it personally," she said with a laugh.


A regular face
Gonzaga admits she's just a regular face, but with loads of talent, masa appeal honed before she was in her teens, and a heart for performing.


"It's very regular, my face. Makakarelate ang masa talaga," she said.
She also grew close to the masses of Taytay, Rizal at the age of 9 or 10, when her uncle, a former councilor, asked her to host their events.


She was the one they turned to for song numbers or to host during fiestas when her dad ran for councilor.
She adds her heart for now is not in politics.
Her dreams as a high schooler including being a househelp due to the influence of the Princess Sara cartoons, and a teacher.


"During those times I would audition, I'd tell my dad ang daming maganda, mestiza especially sa VTR for commercials, gusto ko nang umuwi."


She joined auditions alongside the likes of Joey Mead and Christina Garcia.
"Lalakasan ko lang ang loob ko to sign up to register. But my dad would tell me, hindi ka nandito sa industriya para magpaganda. Ang ibebenta natin yung talent mo."


On love
When it comes to love, Gonzaga believes in waiting. She says her career comes first.
Now 27, she also wants to go back to school at the University of the Philippines where she took up a degree in English.


"My priority for now is my career," she said.
Gonzaga also admitted she thought she would end up with actor Sam Milby.
"There was a time I thought he was going to be the one. We were very close, doing a lot of movies together, spent a lot of time together but I was not allowed to get in a relationship. I was very young. I was 21," she said.
"I do not follow my heart, I follow my parents," she added.


Gonzaga met her boyfriend, director Paul Soriano, at a Gary V. concert in 2006.
People often ask them if they have plans of settling down but Toni believes true love can wait.
"I wanted to get married at the age of 30. That's my plan. I think 30 is the new 25."


Despite the absence of any formal training, Gonzaga admits singing is a natural passion. She now has five recording albums under her belt.


"I love singing. It's something I can't let go of. I used to be a lounge singer in Hyatt Hotel, Kalesa bar. I used to sing in four hotels at 17."


And after 10 fruitful years, Gonzaga is grateful for the opportunity to realize her dreams.
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/entertainment/09/09/11/toni-gonzaga-sam-milby-i-thought-he-was-one

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...