Sam Milby

Sam Milby

Saturday 4 May 2013

‘Death March’ made possible through Japanese, Pinoy collaboratio


By NR Ramos Published: May 2, 2013 
  A Japanese and a Filipino wanting to make a film about the Bataan Death March – the historic event where thousands of Filipino and American soldiers died as captives in the hands of the Japanese Imperial Army? Sounds very much like a bad bar joke right there, but that is exactly what happened with “Death March,” a film now set to be screened at the Un Certain Regard section of the prestigious Cannes Film Festival.
Film director Adolfo Alix Jr. shared that it was his good friend, Japanese actor-director-producer Jacky Woo, that actually made the film possible.

“He produced it. Tinanong niya ako kung ano pang mga project that I had in mind...kasi we’ve worked na before, so I told him about the idea. Actually, I was hesitant, because nga he is Japanese and it is a very sensitive issue but when he read the material he said yes, so ‘yun,” he told Bulletin Entertainment in an exclusive interview.
The young director maintains that Woo never demanded to change anything about the Palanca-winning script.
“Ang take niya nga doon is that, ‘We are all victims of war,’” Alix related. “What is good about Jacky is that he has a heart for the Philippines.”
Alix had long wanted to do a film about the historical march. “Kasi I’ve been hearing stories about it when I was young every time I visit Nueva Ecija... that stirred my curiosity,” he said.

After having been snubbed at the Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) last year, Alix related how glad he was upon learning of the film’s inclusion in Cannes.
“It was very early in the morning, mga around 5 or 6 and as it was routine for me, I checked on my e-mail and ‘yun that’s how I found out. I was really very happy,” he said.
Shooting the film, related Alix, was a breeze, with all his actors including Sid Lucero, Zanjoe Marudo, Jason Abalos and Woo himself giving him their best performances.
“Kahit si Sam (Milby). It’s my first time to work with him and I’m really happy with his performance.”

Known mostly for playing glamor roles, Milby never balked at having to look dirty for the film he said.

“I didn’t hear anything from him. He is an actor naman first and foremost and he knows about these things. In it kasi he plays an American soldier and they were sick, some of them were very hungry... siyempre madumi sila. But he took on the challenge and we’re very happy. It is a very good break for him... to show his versatility as an actor.”

Read more:
 http://www.mb.com.ph/article.php?aid=10304&sid=4&subid=26#.UYQy8kkX4iB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...