Sam Milby

Sam Milby

Thursday 19 May 2011

Me and my travels: Sam Milby, actor


INTERVIEW BY LEI CHAVEZ
inflight.ph, April-May 2011




PHOTOS BY XANDER ANGELES FOR FOLDED AND HUNG

First holiday: When I came back to Manila in March 2005, I lived with my relatives in Bulacan. It was the first time I experienced the Holy Week celebrations and Visita Iglesia, visiting seven churches in a day, going from one church to another. I was in the Philippines for only a month and I was
still having a culture shock.

Favorite place: Palawan and Boracay. I’ve been to El Nido about two to three times. The first time I went to Boracay for vacation, I stayed at the Shangri-La Hotel and it’s in the quiet side of Boracay. The villa I stayed in was by the cliffside, and had a private pool. If you want to have fun with friends, go to Boracay. If you want to relax with a family member or girlfriend, go to El Nido.

I’d like to see… Amanpulo (Palawan). I’ve never been there but I’ve heard so much about it. Another place I’d like to see is this motocross track in Nueva Ecija. My friends say there’s an amazing track up there.

The thing I always pack is… my MacBook Pro, Dr. Dre headphones for its noise cancelling system, my Canon PowerShot G11, and my iPod. I have to take all the chargers too.

My idea of paradise is… anywhere with a really nice motocross track. Actually, I’m thinking of a beach beside a motocross track and a mountain to climb in the background. I love camping and I love being in a place where I both climb and be by the beach.

My favorite sport is… motocross. I’ve been riding since I was 10. At 16, I stopped. Last year was the first time I started riding again after 10 years. I try to practice in a track in Bicutan when I can. I love the adrenalin-rush and being in the air.

I unwind in the city by… staying at home or going to a lounge or chill spot. I go to bars but I don’t dance. I lounge at my house a lot.

My favorite meal is… breakfast. My favorite food is Japanese. I don’t take Japanese for breakfast, though. I love eggs, toast, cereal, grits. I love salmon sashimi, teriyaki – I only eat chicken and fish – and of course, ramen.

My favorite restaurant: I go through phases. When I’m in the Thai food phase, I go to Banana Leaf (+632/ 729 3333) thrice a week. I went through a Cyma (+632/ 729 4837) phase but I still like Cyma. Right now, I like Chelsea (+632/ 909 7011-12), Felix (+632/ 729 9062), and Kai (+632/ 757 5209-10).

My guilty vice: I don’t have a guilty vice. I used to smoke to socialize.

I escape the showbiz crowd by… going home because people say it’s far (from where everyone lives). I have a theater at home, a pool, a gym, a sauna that I hardly use.

My regular travel companion is… I mostly travel for work so I’m always with my road manager. I travel with my headphones, my iPod, and my new Samsung Galaxy.

Me and My Life: Sam Milby

Do you see yourself more as an actor, a singer or a model?
I love singing, but acting is my top choice – you get exposure, endorsements, and traveling. Modeling is in-between.

Why enter showbusiness?
I came here for a vacation in 2005 with no plan of entering showbusiness. People say Filipinos like the mestizo look so I ventured into commercials and modeling. I did Pinoy Big Brother (PBB) in 2005 and everything snowballed from there.

Did your parents encourage you to be an actor?
They wanted me to finish college but they were never pushy. In high school, my grades were fine. During my freshman year in college, I kind of slacked off. I worked as a waiter in a restaurant for two and a half years before flying to the Philippines for a vacation. When I decided
to stay here and try showbusiness, my parents let me.

How did you prepare yourself for life in showbusiness?
I used to be in a band in the US, but as a guitarist. I took workshops with ABS-CBN but never finished a whole course. My directors really helped me in my acting.

Tell us about Big Brother.
My manager, a friend of mine before I joined showbusiness, took me to the ABS-CBN Talent Center for the Pinoy Big Brother (PBB) try-outs. I had no idea then what the show was all about and what I was about to do. I was one of the last to try-out. I was thinking of walking out, but I told myself that I was doing this for the experience. Four days later, I’m in the house. I didn’t speak Tagalog. It was a big shocker.

What do you think was the turning point in your showbiz career?
The Close Up commercial was a big break but PBB was really the break that led me to showbusiness. There are a couple of times I felt that I’ve made it but I’m my own critic. I’m never satisfied with my performances. I don’t – can’t – watch myself on TV, being the shy type.

What aspects of showbiz do you hate? What aspects do you love?
Lots of ups and downs. People make up a lot of stories and a lot of people believe it. And there are the sleepless nights when it gets busy. The ups are the traveling, which helped me with my shyness, upped my confidence just by meeting lots of people. I love that I’m on my own. When I was in the US, I lived in my parents’ house. Now, I have my own house and car.

What’s a typical day for you?
When I don’t have work, I can be a night owl. I can’t sleep until it’s 3 or 4 am. On average, if I’m doing a movie and a teleserye, I get zero to five hours of sleep. During the production of TV soap Maging Sino Ka Man, there was not a day when I had more than two hours of sleep. Most of the time I slept in the car, go home, shower, then head off to the next shoot. Sometimes I don’t even go home – and that’s really hard.

How has success changed your life?
Being a shy guy, I’m not comfortable being in front of people. There are days when it’s hard to deal with fans, when I haven’t had enough sleep and the temperature is hot and I get frustrated. I just tell myself: I won’t have my career if not for my fans. Even if I’m frustrated, I smile.

What was the first great luxury you bought after that first huge pay?
A Toyota Sequoia for about P2.6 million.

What is next for you career wise?
I’m preparing for a movie with KC Concepcion and a TV series. I want to do at least one movie a year. I think indie films are good to do.

Do you have any other unfulfilled dream?
One day, I hope I’ll get an acting award. I got best New Actor back in 2006, but I still need to improve. I also want a project in Los Angeles.

Do you feel more Filipino than American?
I was home in Ohio last 2010 Christmas and it was nice to be back. But while I was there, I missed the Philippines. I can’t say that Ohio is not my home since I grew up there and my family and friends are there, but I feel more at home here. I even feel more Filipino because of my values.

Is there a special someone in your life?
I wish I could say yes, but no. I dated Marie (Digby) last year and I’ve dated others afterward but nothing came serious. Right now, I’m single.

If you were not an actor, a model, or singer, what do you think would you be doing?
I’d love to get into business or finish a degree if there’s an opportunity. But I do have a new hobby right now. I DJ, but no formal gigs yet.

Sam Milby’s showbiz career started when he landed a modeling job for Close Up toothpaste. In 2005, he joined reality TV show Pinoy Big Brother, his first big break. Soon after he came out with a solo album which turned platinum, starred in Filipino films and TV soaps.

In 2006, Milby was Guillermo Awards’ Most Promising Male Singer, and the 19th Aliw Awards’ Best New Male Artist. In 2007, Guillermo Awards named him Prince of Philippine Movies for the movie “You Are the One”. And for two consecutive years in 2006 and 2007, Anak TV Seal Award cited Milby as one of the Top 10 Most Admired Male Personalities

http://inflight.ph/me-and-my-life-sam-milby/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...