Sam Milby

Sam Milby

Thursday 26 May 2011

Sam Milby is surprised about rumors that he is courting Julia Montes - Push.com.ph

Sam Milby is surprised about rumors that he is courting Julia Montes - Push.com.ph


5/26/2011 8:43 AM

by: Napoleon Quintos


052611-sam_main.jpgSam Milby was puzzled why his name is being linked to young actress Julia Montes. At the press conference of his independent film Third World Happy, Sam addressed rumors about him courting Julia. “I found it funny that everybody’s making chismisthat I was making ligaw kay Julia. I don’t even have her number.”

But he admitted that he is a fan of Julia and of Kathryn Bernardo, who achieved big success with theirteleserye Mara Clara. “Hinahangaan ko si Julia. ‘Yung Mara Clara first big role nila ni Kathryn and they got high ratings. They’re very young, but they were able to achieve that kind of success.”

Sam explained that he and Julia got introduced to each other during ASAP in Iloilo. “We met one time sa ASAP, the first was when we did a show in Iloilo.Mabait siya. Dahil siya ‘yung kontrabida sa Mara Clara you would think agad na mataray na talaga siya. But I hope people won’t think if her that way kasi mabait talaga siyang tao.”

The actor asked the public not to give any other meaning to his admiration for Julia as a rising dramatic actress. “I have no idea why they are saying na nililigawan ko siya. I admire her. She’s a very beautiful girl and I know she has a bright future in showbiz. Siguro ang nasabi ko lang was, ‘Ang ganda nito! Ang galing!’ So based on those comments siguro inisip na baka liligawan ko siya.”

Sam celebrated his 27th birthday last May 23, while Julia had just graduated from high school last March. Being single at the moment, Sam was asked if he is open to dating a younger woman. “A lot of people say this and I believe it naman na age is just a number. A relationship is about maturity. For me right now, compared nung 17lang ako, malaking difference. From 16 years old until you’re about 20, you undergo a lot of maturing. Some people mature a lot faster, I guess women mature faster than guys. I think it all depends on the connection,‘yung spark. But I think kung masyado nang isip-bata it can get very difficult.”

But Sam was also quick on drawing the line on the age of legality. “Maybe there’s a point na ‘young’ is ‘too young.’ Ha ha ha! In the States kapag below 18 years old, below legal na. Kulong ka na niyan! We call that age ‘jail bait.’ Siguro basta at least 18 years old naman, ha ha ha!

Sam took a break from shooting the movie Forever and A Day co-starring KC Concepcion so he can promote his indie movie Third World Happy. Initially screened during last year’s Cinema One Originals competition, Third World Happy will be shown beginning May 25 until May 31 in SM Cinema North EDSA, Megamall, Manila, Marikina, Southmall, Sta. Mesa, Fairview, Cebu, and Iloilo. Sam talked about his experience crossing over from mainstream movies to indies. “Doing indie films is a lot of different. It’s about exploring new things about your acting, new directors, their style. This movie is very close to the life of Direk EJ (Salcedo). But he allows me to give my own input about my role. That helps you in growing as an actor.”

Sam’s performance earned rave reviews from fans and critics alike and the movie garnered him a Best Actor nomination from the recently-concluded Gawad Urian. Was he disappointed about losing the award? “I really thought I shouldn’t really win, ha ha ha!,” Sam honestly said. “I never expected anything. Siyempre ‘yung mgafellow nominees ko, si Sid (Lucero) ‘yung nanalo, si Coco (Martin), Pen Medina. These are actors na they always get nominated and win. This is my first acting nomination. Last 2006, I won as Best New Movie Actor. Getting a nomination from Urian makes me feel more than a winner.”

But this won’t stop Sam from trying out more offbeat roles in the future. He said that in his desire to become a better actor, he is now more picky when it comes to the projects that he will do. “Kumpara dati I guess I can say I’m now more picky when it comes to roles that I do. Siyempre nung bago pa lang ako whatever they gave me,sige lang ako. Ngayon I want to have a direction, a branding. I get to say kung ano na ‘yung gusto ko. But I still leave it up to ABS-CBN, my manager, to give me roles na they believe I can excel in.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...