Sam Milby

Sam Milby

Monday 30 May 2011

Sam loves doing ‘indie’ films


MARIO BAUTISTA

‘I like doing indie films since I can go out of the box and improve my craft as an actor. –Sam Milby’

SAM Milby got his first best actor nomination for the movie "Third World Happy" in the Cinema One Digital Filmfest and the Urian Awards, playing the character of a lonely balikbayan from New York, who returns home to Manila for the wake of his older brother.

The film is a directorial debut of TV commercial director EJ Salcedo.

"My character, Wesley, and I are opposites in real life," Sam said. "He was born here and went to US to pursue his dream, while in real life, I was born there and came here. I like doing indie films since I can go out of the box and improve my craft as an actor."

Direk EJ had to talk to Johnny Manahan of Star Magic to allow Sam to do the film. "Sam is the only actor I can think of that is perfect for the lead role. I made a power point presentation and showed it to Mr. Manahan… Then he said, ‘is it like a Woody Allen film?’ I said yes and he immediately permitted Sam to do the movie," the director said.

Supporting Sam in the film are Jodi Sta. Maria as the girlfriend he left behind (who won the Cinema One best supporting actress award for her performance here), Richard Quan as his dead brother, Melissa Mendez and Archie Adamos as his aunt and uncle, and Archie Alemania as his best friend.

Now showing in some SM cinemas – North EDSA, Megamall, Fairview, Manila, Sta. Mesa, Southmall, Marikina, Cebu, and Iloilo – "Third World Happy" will run up to May 31.

http://www.malaya.com.ph/may30/ent_mario.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...