Sam Milby

Sam Milby

Tuesday 25 January 2011

The ride of his life | The Manila Bulletin Newspaper Online

The ride of his life | The Manila Bulletin Newspaper Online

The ride of his life

"With everything that Sam has accomplished in his young life – from hit movies, TV shows, and sold-out concerts – what he is most proud of is the person that he has become in this journey…
By JASER A. MARASIGAN
January 25, 2011, 7:05pm

MANILA, Philippines — Sam Milby arrives at this interview complaining about the blisters on his hands.

“Ang hapdi ng kamay ko,” says the Fil-Am actor, showing both his hands.

Coming from a motocross practice, Sam has been religiously going to a race track in Bicutan in preparation for upcoming competitions. Last year, he won in two categories at the Philippine National Supercross Series Round.

He finished first place in the beginner’s class, and third place in novice class.

“I’m a speed demon,” he states, exhilarated. “I love the adrenaline rush. My dad raced and my two brothers also did motocross racing so it is really in my blood to ride.”

Sam has just recently rediscovered his love for riding. When he was 10 years old, his father gave him his first dirt bike. But at that time, he was more into figure skating.

“I didn’t really have the time to ride. I love driving though. I love the thrill. When I quit skating, I started to ride a lot more. Then may nagnakaw ng bike ko, so I stopped. I had no bike and for 10 years I couldn’t ride at all -- until last year. It was my first time to ride again,” relates Sam, who is now saving up for his own motocross bike.

It may be a fun sport for thrill-seekers like him, but it can be dangerous as well. Sam figured in a motocross accident while he was in the US for the holidays, almost breaking his collarbone. “If you really take it seriously, you have a 150 percent chance you’ll break a bone. You cannot do this sport and not have any accident,” says Sam.

Despite winning in competitions, he is not thinking of becoming a professional motocross rider.

“Because of my work as an actor, I can’t really push myself kasi kapag may nangyari sa akin, paano na ako magtatrabaho. Besides, I’m actually too old to pursue it now. Most kids start at five and by the time they’re 20 or 25 they’re already professionals. I don’t have the experience to actually pursue it. It’s one hobby that I really enjoy,” he explains.

Calculated risks
Sam may be a risk taker in his sports but he admits, he is never really been much of a risk taker in real life. His decision to leave his life in the US and stay in the Philippines to start on his own was quite a surprise even to him.

“I’m extremely surprised that I decided to stay here in the Philippines because I’m afraid to be alone. But I took that risk, which I didn’t really think I was going to do.”

Sam did not grow up with many Filipinos around. But he visited the Philippines several times before deciding to stay here for good to pursue a career in modeling and acting. He stayed with relatives in Bulacan and took the bus to Manila to answer casting calls and auditions. Results were not always encouraging, but all his determination and hard work have obviously paid off.

“I’m a person who likes challenges. Every day is a challenge. What I love about the job is that it’s very dynamic. With this job, you act like a different person, you go to places. It’s different every day, and I really like that. When people say bad things about me or when they discourage me, it just pushes me more. I’m the type of person who wants to learn. I’m always eager to learn.”

Read more:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...