Sam Milby

Sam Milby

Wednesday 22 June 2011

KC and Sam in Forever and a Day

KC and Sam in Forever and a Day 
PhilStar.com


Box-office director Cathy Garcia-Molina got the surprise of her life when she learned that she will be doing a film project with KC Concepcion and Sam Milby. She was supposed to do a separate project for KC and another for Sam, with different screen partners. When Star Cinema presented to her the idea of doing the first team-up movie of Sam and KC, she thought of this love story titled “Forever and a Day,” which is her concept.

“This is a movie that talks not only about love but also about life and the love for life,” says Direk Cathy at the presscon of “Forever and A Day” and adds that, “This is my first na serious love story, hindi lang basta pangkilig. This is more than just a kilig love story.”

This is a film that celebrates the beauty of love and life, a movie that embarks upon the idea of eternal love, a compelling love story told. “Sometimes, all it takes is just a day. A day can be like your forever and forever can also happen in a day,” says Direk Cathy.

The story is about a man (Sam) who pushes himself to the limits, a man who is always up for the challenge. He is proud. He only lives for himself. He then meets a woman (KC) one day, a woman who is more cautious in life, a woman who teaches him to embrace life, love and all its smallest blessings. Together they take the journey that teaches them to control their fears and the humility and courage to accept things that one cannot control. But will love prevail even if destiny tries to prevent it from happening?

Direk Cathy says it became her problem when she learned that Sam and KC are good friends in real life. Even before the two started the movie, they have been friends.

“We can’t say that we even became closer while doing the film because we’ve always been close,” says Sam. “During the first few days on the set, Direk Cathy would get mad at us because ang daldal namin pareho so direk told us na huwag kaming mag-uusap sa set,” related KC.
The two are such close friends that they ca
n’t see themselves as lovers. Sam and KC could not look at each other and feel that they are lovers. “It was kind of difficult for me,” says Direk Cathy. “But I always tell them that they are not the ones in love onscreen but the characters they are playing. As long as they become the characters, Eugene can fall in love with Raffy and Raffy can fall in love with Eugene.”

Of all the movies they did together (this is Sam’s fourth film under Direk Cathy), Sam said this is the one that he got closer to his director. “This is the first time we did get close and I really gave her everything, to the role. So if ever you’d say my acting is good, I should give direk Cathy credit for that. Plus, it has an amazing story so it helped me in giving life to my role.”

For her part, this is KC’s first project with Direk Cathy. “I haven’t done too many movies since I started acting three years ago. The first thing that Direk Cathy asked me was to trust her. And that helped me a lot because nabigyan niya ako ng lakas ng loob and it boosted my confidence, especially with my acting. I know there is room to grow and I can do so much. I hope that the people would see how much I have given in terms of acting.”
Did KC have to look back on her past loves so she could relate to a scene? “I didn’t have to do that. It’s really more on the scene. Hindi naman po pinaplano iyon. Siguro po kung anong emotion ang dumating while I am reading the script or while we are taking the scene. I could probably look back on an experience that had happened in real life. But I really got attached to the character of Raffy. I need not reminisce on what happened in the past because I relate to the scene,” explains KC.

For his part, Sam says: “Every actor has a different method in taking on a scene. There are actors who use their personal experiences. Pero sa akin, hindi gumana iyon and direk knows that. I can’t use any personal experience. If it happens, then it happens. What I do is I study the character. But I really have to say that the story is amazing. I just really felt the character and found ways to make it good with regards to my performance.”

With Forever and a Day, Direk Cathy hopes to present a new tandem in KC and Sam. She knew some people might not see the chemistry in Sam and KC. “But why don’t we give it a try? You’ve got to see this film to believe that it is possible. Sam and KC are really good in this film. They are a revelation. I got more than what I expected. I just admire their professionalism.”

To trigger the adventurous sides of Sam and KC’s characters plus elicit a strong romantic flavor, both actors had to do the extreme water sports themselves. This included doing the zipline (and all of its 28 takes) and whitewater rafting! But Sam and KC were unfazed. Both of them even had to dress-down and hardly wore make-up at all, a departure for their glammed-up screen roles in the past. Both indeed have gone out of their comfort zones, all for delineating what could be career-defining roles of their lives. The Sam we never saw and the KC we never knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...