Sam Milby

Sam Milby

Sunday 12 June 2011

Direk Cathy: The KC-Sam 'loveteam' works

By Nathalie Tomada (The Philippine Star) Updated June 13, 2011 12:00 AM 



Director Cathy Garcia-Molina with Forever and a Day stars KC Concepcion and Sam Milby





Manila, Philippines - Director Cathy Garcia-Molina revealed that she never expected she would be working on a project that would pair up KC Concepcion and Sam Milby. 
The director, who is responsible for many of Star Cinema’s blockbuster romance-themed movies, is at the helm of the KC-Sam starrer Forever And A Day, which hits cinemas onWednesday, June 15. The film was shot on location entirely in Mindanao, particularly in Bukidnon, Iligan and Cagayan De Oro. It tells the story of a man (Sam as Eugene Servero) who’s unafraid of risks and who lives for himself alone, but he meets a woman (KC as Raffy Salvador) who is more cautious in life. Both take a journey that teaches them to overcome fears. 
“I never thought the two of them would work together in a film. I was supposed to do a movie with KC with another leading man and Sam with another leading lady. I was shocked when I learned that they will be partners in this film,” direk Cathy said in a presscon held Friday at the 14th Floor of ELJ Building, ABS-CBN Compound.
While the pairing seemed unlikely to her at first, she was convinced she could make it work after she saw the friendship that the two stars already shared. “A lot of people are asking, is the team-up possible? Would it be convincing? I said, puwede, puwede po.”

So, how close are KC and Sam really off-screen? “Even before we started the movie, close talaga kami (with KC). She’s the kind of person whom I can share my problems with,” Sam said.
KC laughingly added, “That’s how our friendship started  with the sharing of problems. I think Sam is one of the people in my life who is for keeps.”

But direk Cathy would be the first to admit that this closeness posed a challenge to her during the initial shooting days. “Sa sobrang close nila, naiinis ako, ang ingay, kaya pinagbawalan ko sila mag-usap.”
Plus, audiences know for a fact that they are not an item in real life, with KC very much in a relationship with Piolo Pascual, that a love angle cannot be used to help promote the film.

But for the director, who has a record of making reel pairings a real success (think John Lloyd Cruz and Sarah Geronimo!), she said, “They could not look at each other like lovers. It was a problem, yes, nahirapan ako. But I always believe po na hindi naman sila yung nai-in-love onscreen but rather yung character nila. I had to rely on the characterization. So, for as long as they become the character, it is possible for them to fall in love as Raffy and Eugene. Ganoon lang po talaga dahil kung aasahan ko po ang mga personal nilang buhay, baka po wala akong mapala.

For KC and Sam, how are they taking the pressure of people’s expectations to make not just their first onscreen pairing work, but to also make Forever And A Day a blockbuster movie?

“We had doubts going into this project,” Sam admitted. “But I can comfortably say now that no pressure. Whether it’s going to be a blockbuster or not, we gave a lot in the movie and I think, that’s the most important. I haven’t seen the movie yet. I’ll see the final cut at the premiere night. But I’m happy with everything.”

For KC’s part, she said, “This has been the most confident I have been with a role, because I trusted direk Cathy and also because so much has happened in my life since I made my first movie three years ago. I have changed and matured.

Direk Cathy said that the two pulled surprises that she could readily declare that there are scenes inthe movie Direk Cathy said that the two pulled surprises that she could readily declare that there are scenes in the movie that have become her personal favorites of all time.

She gives props to Sam’s performance in the film. “This is the fourth time I’ve worked with Samuel. I’ve told myself, what else could this guy give? But I was amazed. I said to Sam three days ago, ‘Dito lang kita minahal.’ Kasi, dito ko nakita kung gaano siya magmahal. He gave more than he could, more than what he has given in his past moviesDati si John Lloyd lang po talaga mahal koNgayon, mahal ko na rin siya.

As for KC, ever since she has seen KC’s first film three years ago, she had wished to work with her. “I’ve waited to work with her for years. When I saw her first film, I thought, KC really had potential.”

The film sees KC and Sam taking on, for the very first time, breathtaking extreme sport challenges from Bukidnon to Cagayan De Oro to add up to the excitement levels of the film.


More importantly, the film also has a personal meaning for direk Cathy. “Ang peg po talaga nito, galing sa akin. Malapit po talaga sa puso ko ang kuwentong ito. The movie is not just about love, it’s about life. It’s about love for life. Ito rin po ang una kong pelikula nabroader ang scope. It’s more than just a love story and pakilig.”

Forever And A Day is one of Star Cinema’s 18th-anniversary offerings.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=695677


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...