Sam Milby

Sam Milby

Monday 30 May 2011

Sam Milby sheds off his boy-next-door image in “Third World Happy”


By Karen Valeza | omg! Philippines News Blog – 10 hours ago



Photo courtesy of Happy Third World Film

People have seen young actor Sam Milby in roles where he plays the dashing leading man, or a charmer in a romantic-comedy films, or a an elegant bachelor in TV dramas. But, Sam Milby sheds off these images to an emotionally-stricken Filipino-American artist in the Cinema One Originals film, "Third World Happy," which is directed by EJ Salcedo.

Sam Milby plays the role of Wesley, a balikbayan who left the Philippines and went to the US to pursue his dream as a painter. Unlike most people perceptions of the US as always a green pasture, the film shows Wesley's struggle of achieving his dreams, loss of his loved ones, his homecoming and letting go and moving on with his life.

People can see Sam in a different light in this film as he veered away from his good-looking and boy next door image and traded this to a heavily emotional character who faces his struggles in life. Many say that this is Sam's breakthrough film for effectively portraying a balikbayan with a painful past who still has to face other challenges in his homecoming. In the 34th Gawad Urian Awards, Sam was nominated for "Best Actor."

EJ, who also produces short films, TV commercials and corporate and music videos, is also the film's screenwriter. He had no one else on his mind to portray the lead role, but Sam. "Half the movie is in English since he's Filipino-American so I wanted somebody who can talk the slang. Because in the movie, he's in the States for 13 years. I knew that Sam is a Fil-American and he could give such emotions about missing home, friends and family," EJ told Yahoo! OMG! Philippines at the press conference held in Polari Club in Quezon City last week.

The film's director is indeed happy of getting Sam to play the lead role, after talking to ABS-CBN's Johnny Manahan for his approval. "Sure enough, I'm such a good casting agent. He's perfect, he was nominated in the festival and he was nominated in Urian," EJ added. They filmed the movie for six days.

"Third World Happy" is Sam's second indie film with "Cul de Sac" as his first indie project. And what made Sam do another indie film and a role different from his usual characters? "You really get to have an out-of-the-box role to really improve on your craft. Tapos nakilala ko si direk EJ, sabi nya sa akin, wala nang ibang tao na nasa isip nya kundi ako. So my management was also the one who suggested that I should do this," Sam told Yahoo! OMG Philippines.

Sam also added he gets to work with new directors and he can also have his own say and opinion when doing an indie film. "Very open para sa mga opinion ng mga artista nila, I got to explore on my own. In this film siguro, I did a lot of underacting because I just kept inside until the end. That one scene, medyo nahirapan kami, syempre, saying goodbye to a loved one for the last time," Sam said.

Despite the number of films and TV dramas Sam has done in the past and also the similarity of his character being a Filipino-American, Sam found his role very challenging in terms of keeping and understanding his emotions. "Yung character medyo baligtad kami kase siya lumaki dito sa Pilipinas. Ako, syempre, lumaki doon sa States. Sya gusto nyang tuparin yung pangarap nya na maging artist sa States. Ako pumunta ako dito para tuparin ang pangarap ko. But, I think it was definitely difficult sa akin kase yung character ko, syempre yung mga nararamdaman nya, nasa loob-loob nya. But the most difficult thing for me was to really keep it inside and understand him at the same time," Sam said.

Sam is very happy and proud of this project that he got to showcase his craft in acting and show his fans a different side of him. He also regrets that he has not yet watched the film before the press conference due to his tight schedule. "I don't like watching myself, but this one I really want to see. And I appreciate the great comments too, of course also being nominated in the Urian awards, that's one of the most respected award-giving body. And it's my first time being nominated for Best Actor. I'm very happy with everything that came out with this movie," Sam shared.

In the film, Sam acts alongside Jodi Sta. Maria who plays the role of his former girlfriend, Alyn. Sam has worked with Jodi in various projects including his first indie film "Cul de Sac" and the ongoing TV series "100 Days." Talking about Jodi, "My first indie film I was also with her. We've worked with each other before. Nakakatulong talaga pag magaling yung mga kasama mo. It's a give and take sa mga eksena. Being with Jodi, it really helped me also talaga," Sam said. Jodi won the "Best Supporting Actress" in the Cinema One Originals 2010 awards.

Showing happiness and loneliness in different aspects in the film, Sam was asked what makes him happy and lonely. "I enjoy the work that I do. I like the movie, that's very challenging for me. What makes me happy is yung family ko. Nung nagtour kami sa States, nakita ko yung mom ko, yung sister ko, yung niece ko. Things that I love, I got to do motocross on my birthday," Sam said.

The young actor said that's he's generally happy and not lonely but also admits that having a love life gives him an inspiration. "Hindi naman ako lonely. I do live alone and I can be lonely sometimes being alone. Pero syempre, in terms of lovelife, masarap naman na may inspirasyon, may taong laging pwedeng kausapin pag may problema. That's what is great of having a lovelife. In terms of being lonely, in the sense, I'm really not lonely naman. I have lots of work," Sam shared.

Now that Sam has proven his versatility and talent in acting various roles, he is now more excited in doing challenging roles. "I just wanna keep growing on different roles. I just don't wanna be stereotyped as one. I'd like to be looked as versatile. I think it is important to do indie films and out-of-the-box roles," Sam said. Sam is no longer just your typical boy-next-door.

"Third World Happy" is currently being shown on selected SM Cinemas nationwide until May 31.

http://ph.omg.yahoo.com/blogs/omgphn...040805170.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...