Sam Milby

Sam Milby

Thursday 27 September 2012

Hollywood or bust? (Sam says he'll still go for it) 
By Nathalie Tomada (The Philippine Star) Updated September 27, 2012


Sam Milby, the new endorser of Diana Stalder skincare center by Dermaline, Inc., plans to return to the US early next year in time for the casting season

When Sam Milby decided to take a three-month break from local showbiz early this year to try and test the Hollywood waters, he received discouragement with quarters saying that he might not have a career here to return to. Sam, who came back in May, is also aware of talk that nothing came out of it.

Sam, nevertheless, remains undaunted, saying he plans on returning to the States in February next year just in time for the casting period for pilot/returning seasons, which starts January and ends April. 

“Yes (I was discouraged) because we all know how people can forget you easily, especially with all the newcomers,” the Kapamilya actor said in following his launch as the face of the Diana Stalder skincare center by Dermaline, Inc. last Tuesday. (He’s also been the face of the company’s Dermablend products for six years now.)

He said that he didn’t want to have any what-ifs. “Ayoko ng mga what-ifs. For me, it was a risk for me to leave, and it’s going to be a risk for me to leave again. But if you don’t take risks, you’re not going to get anywhere in life. You got to believe in like you take a risk, three months, then I’m back here, I still have work, I’m still working and I’ve learned a lot there.”



Asked on the most important lessons he learned from those three months, Sam said, “Sobrang na-appreciate ko yung audition process nila doon kasi dito, you know, if you’re already known, di ka naman nag-a-audition. Ako, we’re very blessed bilang actors in the business. There’s a lot of artists, even in the Philippines, na magaling umarte, and they’re never given the chance to show their craft or their acting, so I really appreciate that lahat ng tao nabibigyan ng pagkakataon dun sa States.”..


He further admitted that his experience in the US both humbled him and bolstered his confidence. “When I got back, I felt different. For the longest time, I admit that I was never self-confident, but when I was in the States, I felt wow, you know what, if I work hard enough, I really feel, I can do these roles, I can do acting, even singing…When I was in the States, mas driven ako.”

Did he feel that things here in the Philippines were rather spoon-fed? “I mean yeah, ako paglabas ng Pinoy Big Brother house, di ba projects kaagad? I admit I was spoon-fed, everything happened so fast…”

Like he was spoiled? “I was. But I look at it more as blessed. Parang everything happens for a reason. Ako, sobrang suwerte ako, sobrang blessed that I never had to go through any hardships, when it came to auditioning or anything, except for PBB.”

Sam said he got motivated to give the Hollywood scene a try because some people in the States thought that he should.

In an ABS-CBN news report published last February, it said that Sam got the attention of a New York ABC Network TV executive who happened to be watching his Heartthrobs concert last year. The TV exec then invited Sam to a meeting then screen tests.

Sam related, “I never had any plans before. But isang TV station doon, nagustuhan nila ako doon, and they got me an agency, Gersh, one of the top agencies in Hollywood.”

(According to Wikipedia.com, the Gersh Agency [TGA] is a talent and literary agency established in 1949 by Phil Gersh, with 125 employees, 60 agents and offices in Beverly Hills and New York.)


“So, parang for me, I think any actor, ultimately, wants to make it internationally and (to be with) one of the best agencies to begin with, is a big thing. Sayang ang opportunity. (But) it’s gonna take time. I was just there for three months. I know a lot of people are thinking, ay wala namang nangyari, you can’t expect (things) to happen that fast.”

While he was in the States, Sam became close to Anna Maria Perez de Tagle, the Fil-Am star of Disney’s TV musicals plus the Broadway show Godspell, and her family. In fact, they helped him settle down in New York when he was based there.

Sam said he is not exactly setting a certain time frame for his Hollywood goals, but he hopes something will happen to him within five years. “And it’s within five years kasi, it’s about building relationships with casting directors and producers, getting used to their process there… Napakahirap talaga dun sa States. Everyone knows that. The competition is really hard.”


Read more:

 http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?publicationSubCategoryId=70&articleId=853320

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...